What is a Kind Note?
Kind Notes are a quick and easy way to practice kindness. Write a note to a friend, family member, or anyone in the community that you want to celebrate, thank, or encourage. One of the most simple ways to develop and share your kindness skills is to do something small on a daily basis. Whether recognizing a specific act of kindness or just reminding someone how special they are, these little green notes can create a huge impact and will benefit the writer as well as the recipient.
Science of a Kind Note
Kind Notes provide a concrete way to actively practice intentional kindness through written communication and reflection, as well as learning to accurately understand and manage feelings and show gratitude. They can also be used to emphasize the importance of self-kindness through writing (or drawing) Kind Notes to oneself, recognizing something that you like about yourself or a quality that makes you a kind person.
Ideas for Using Kind Notes
- Engage in intentional kindness by writing a Kind Note to someone in your life. Thank a friend, encourage someone who is struggling, or praise a loved one for a job well done!
- Brainstorm ideas for a community organization or a group of individuals who will receive your Kind Notes (public servants, non-profit groups, senior citizens, etc.). Designate someone to deliver or mail the Kind Notes to the group.
- Write general Kind Notes (examples: “You are wonderful,” “Thank you for making the world kind,” “I appreciate you”) and pass them out at random at an event or gathering.
- Write a Kind Note to yourself, recognizing something you like or a quality that makes you a kind person. Save this, and six months later write yourself another Kind Note reflecting on the growth of your kindness practice. Return to the original Kind Note so you can recognize and celebrate your development.
- If in a school setting, send blank Kind Note templates home with students (or send via email to parents), and encourage families to practice kindness together by writing Kind Notes to each other.
Are you ready to get started?
Download a Ben’s Bells Kind Note template below.